8th Summer School on Imprecise Probabilities:
Often, uncertainty is modelled by a probability distribution, and treated using techniques from probability theory.
However, when information is scarce, vague, or conflicting, a unique probability distribution may
be hard to identify. In that case, imprecise probability aims to represent the really available
knowledge, and provides tools to model and work with weaker states of information. It includes both
qualitative models (comparative probability, partial preference orderings, etc.) and quantitative models
(interval-valued probabilities, convex sets of probability measures, upper and lower
previsions, belief functions, possibility measures, etc.).
SIPTA Summer School
SIPTA is the Society for Imprecise Probability:
Theory and Applications. This society is in charge of the promotion of Imprecise
Probabilities, as well as the organization of the biannual ISIPTA Conference and SIPTA
Summer School. The SIPTA Summer School is a meant to serve as an introduction to imprecise probability theory and
its applications to master, PhD students and more generally to any scholar that is interested in becoming acquainted with the theory.
8th SIPTA Summer School
The 8th SIPTA Summer School will take place in Oviedo (Spain) from 24 to 28 of July, 2018. It will introduce both the main theoretical aspects of imprecise probability models and in particular
belief functions, as well as their applications on machine learning, decision making and engineering. Leading specialists in these different aspects of imprecise probabilities
will lecture on the main concepts and techniques associated to their area of expertise, in a friendly environment favouring interaction between participants.
You can find in this website more information about the speakers and the topics. The school is also collocated with the 11th workshop on Principles and Methods of Statistical Inference with
Interval Probability (WPMSIIP'2018), that will take place between July 30 and August 1, 2018.
Previous SIPTA Summer Schools
SIPTA Summer School is held every two years. Previous schools were organized in:
- 1st edition (2004): Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale, Lugano, Switzerland.
- 2nd edition (2006): University Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain.
- 3rd edition (2008): Laboratoire d’Informatique, de Robotique et de Microélectronique de Montpellier (LIRMM), France.
- 4th edition (2010): Department of Mathematical Sciences, Durham University, United Kingdom.
- 5th edition (2012): University G.d'Annunzio, Pescara, Italy.
- 6th edition (2014): Laboratoire d’Informatique, de Robotique et de Microélectronique de Montpellier (LIRMM), France.
- 7th edition (2016): Department of Mathematical Sciences, Durham University, United Kingdom.
Local Organizing Committee
The SIPTA Summer School 2018 is organized by the UNIMODE and the Metrology and Models
Research Units of the Department of Statistics and O.R. of the University of Oviedo.
- Enrique Miranda (Chair).
- Ignacio Montes.
- Inés Couso.
- Susana Montes.
- Susana Díaz.
For any question about the SIPTA Summer School 2018, please contact Enrique Miranda.